For Malvern and beyond.
- Cycling groups
- Cycle shops and hire
- Cycling assistance – training, fitting, misc
- Mainly bike hire
- Further afield
- Cycling vacations around the area (West Midlands region, Marches, Wales).
- On Cycling around Malvern page you can find local routes, guides and advice.
- A round-up of organised cycling events such as sportives, festivals and sponsored rides has its own MalvernTrail page.
- Check our Events Calendar for cycle rides connected with local events such as Daffodil Weekends or Big Apple Harvest-time, one-offs etc. May be listed under Festivals or Activities.
- Sister site Cycle Malvern is for local bike users of all types, and includes a round-up of current known cycle parking facilities in town – there’s a map of these on Transition Malvern Hills.
- Also see Elgar Connection.
Organised opportunities to go for a spin in the area around Malvern, for a day or shorter. Note: Cycling UK was previously known as CTC (Cyclists’ Touring Club), and local groups may retain the old styling.
- Worcester CTC – runs calendar. There may be some Saturday rides starting from Malvern Link station or Wyche Cutting, but not generally suitable for the casual cyclist.
- Ledbury CTC has a gentler approach to rides than Worcester. Year-round Tuesday rides (usually back by late afternoon) and half-day Thursdays (back by 1pm) – both meet for 10am depart opposite Market House, High St, Ledbury.
- The Malvern Cycles Coffee Shop Sunday morning rides (typically around 20 to 30 miles) continue, although the shop has closed. Sign up to their Facebook page for info.
- VC Sevale is a cycling club based in Malvern. Road racing, plus a bit of mountain biking.
- Malvern Cycle Sport is for people of all ages whether road cyclists or mountain bikers, with a base at Malvern St James sports centre, and a competitive/sports focus. Friday evening road rides, Sunday morning off-road?
- Come Cycling Ledbury may have a ride or two listed.
- Newent Cycling Group – affiliated to Cycling UK, about 25 to 30 mile half day rides.
- Hereford Wheelers for touring, training and race rides.
- See Herefordshire Council’s round-up of cycle club rides (647KB pdf at March 2019) in the county. Also check out Shirley’s Wheels for easy short rides for women, on traffic-free and quiet roads around Hereford – their Facebook page.
- Cheltenham CTC isn’t too far away.
- The Origami Phoenix Rides have a focus on attracting cyclists on folding bikes, but its not exclusive. Rides are in the 10 to 25 mile range, one Saturday a month, somewhere in the Midlands but often from Meriden.
- Worcestershire Active Travel Partnership is “an apolitical association of organisations representing, promoting and facilitating cycling and walking as the natural choice for everyday journeys in Worcestershire.” Twitter feed. Cycle Malvern is a member group.
- Malvern Hills Trail Association: “a rider led mountain bike co-operative focused on engaging with the local community of Malvern to promote mountain biking in a positive light and strive towards a sustainable and established trail network, for all”. Facebook page.
- High Wood Project: “a community group for residents, riders and recreationalists to share and discuss a dedicated and ecologically-led mountain bike trail riding, skills and education centre”, based at the southern tip of the Malvern Hills.” On Facebook.
Malvern and immediate area
Back On Track Bikes Sales and repairs. Originally focused on quality mountain bike stuff but have expanded to cover all types of bicycles, including the odd electric assisted),and gear. 6 North Malvern Rd, Malvern, Worcs, WR14 4LT, phone 01684 565777. General opening hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday 9.30am to 5pm. Back on Track’s Facebook page.
Detour Cycles, run by a knowledgeable family, racing, touring etc. cyclist. Repairs, spare parts, cycling gear. August 2021: now in the old Brays building at 41 Worcester Road, Great Malvern, WR14 4RB. Phone 01684 891555, open Wed to Fri, 8am to 6pm, Sat 9am to 5pm. Detour’s Facebook page.
Dirt Works Mountain bike specialist in West Malvern stocking the Pivot range, available on demo or hire. The “most qualified workshop” in the area and will service all types of bicycles. 193 West Malvern Rd, Malvern, WR14 4BB, phone 01684 212278 (opposite southern entrance to St James Church). Open 12 to 8 Tues to Fri, 10 to 4 weekends.
There is a Halfords on the retail park (Townsend Way). MalvernTrail has no knowledge of staff competence, which can apparently vary widely.
NPJ Cycle Repairs Another new one for 2020. “A comprehensive bicycle repair service direct to your home, place of work and for more complex tasks a collect and return service.” Based south end of Malvern, will go as far afield as Bromyard, Droitwich Spa, Pershore, Tewkesbury, Cheltenham. 07796 196051. Facebook page.
Mobile Cycle Tech service and repair in the Worcester area at a location that suits you. 07933 131999.
F Lewis Cycles. Phone 01905 26455. 50 The Arch, Farrier St, Worcester, WR1 3BH.
OnBike electric bike specialists, various types including off-roaders. Over 30 electric bikes available for test rides. 52-53 Upper Tything, Worcester, WR1 1JY.
Worcester Cycle Centre, originally specialists in mountain biking, but with new larger premises 2021 presumably wider range, including folders (Brompton, Bickerton), hybrids, childrens, etc. from previous sister shop Elgar Cycles. Main Road, Hallow, WR2 6LD. Has indoor bike parking.
Severn Wheels. Small shop providing sales (Falcon, Claud Butler), repairs, electric cycles (also model railways and car accessories). 46 Old Street, Upton upon Severn, Worcs, WR8 0HW. Phone 01684 591080.
Cycles Clements Sales, repairs, hire. A slight emphasis on racing and audax gear. Closed Wednesday. Bank House, 6 Bank Crescent, Ledbury, Herefordshire, HR8 1AA. Phone 01531 632213.
Over the Severn
Tomkinson Cycles, East St, Tewkesbury. Phone 01684 292134.
Echelon 124 High Street Pershore Worcs WR10 IEA. Phone 01386 550606. Opening hours 9:30 – 5:30, late opening Friday (to 8pm). Bit of a racing focus.
Vale Cycles 53 Port Street, Evesham, Worcestershire, WR11 6AF (Port Street is the road over the river bridge just east of the centre). Phone 01386 41204.
About Bikes in Evesham does bicycle repair – see Facebook page for contact details.
Playground Peddlers takes old bikes to refurbish, re-use and to help fund community activities, plus a Kids Bike Library.
The Bicycle Man @ Newent – safety checks, repairs, servicing. New 2020.
Pedalabikeaway (hire and sales) is based by the cycle trails at Cannop Valley, Forest of Dean. Phone 01594 860065, email: email@example.com
Dean Forest Cycles in Parkend, at the start of the Forest of Dean family cycle trail. Bonus of also having The Ice Cream Shed.
Hereford Cycle Hub Servicing, repairs and sales of refurbished bikes from a Community Interest Company that also has community and educational based programmes designed to improve people’s mobility, independence and prospects. New 2020. 6b Sweetmans Yard, Plough Lane, Hereford, HR4 0EE.
Coombes Cycles A traditional style bike shop, half day closing Wednesday. 94 Widemarsh Street, Hereford, HR4 9HG. Phone 01432 354373.
Mastercraft Cycles Established 1952, stock traditional Pashleys, as well as mountain bikes to folders (Brompton specialist). 39 Bridge Street, Hereford. Phone 01452 274047.
Climb On Bikes 24-25 Coningsby Street, Hereford, HR1 2DY. Phone 01432 261211.
Spokes in Kidderminster does cycle repair and maintenance as well as taking in old unwanted bikes for rebuilding and resale, as part of its work to help young individuals with learning disabilities to be able to find and remain in employment. Unit 9 Finepoint, Finepoint Way (off Stourport Road), Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY11 7FB. Phone 01562 861154.
Phill Prothero Cycles, 91-93 Etnam Street, Leominster, Herefordshire, HR6 8AF. Phone 01568 611222.
Pearce Cycles Sales, hire and repair. Fishmore Road, Ludlow, Shropshire, SY8 3DP. Phone 01584 876016.
Epic Cycles Coder Road, Ludlow, Shropshire, SY8 1XE. Phone 01584 705042.
The Bicycle Hub in Cheltenham does bike hire and can offer advice on best local routes.
Gloucestershire Bike Project refurbishes donated bikes (and parts), creating cycle maintenance skills and free bikes for vulnerable young people/good causes. Based in Gloucester.
Pashley Cycles (manufacturers) are in Stratford upon Avon, but have a unique range of traditional cycles, work bikes, folding, special needs and more.
RPJ Cycle Training, new 2020. “Tailored cycle training for all ages and abilities giving you the skills to ride safely and confidently for fun, health or simply getting around”. For groups or individuals.
Bike Fit Solutions is a custom bike fitting outfit based at Bishops Frome. Phone 01885 490628.
Charlotte’s Tandems, a charity based in Gloucestershire, lends tandems to (and only to) people with disabilities or special needs for free, who are unable to ride a bike safely on their own, so that they can enjoy the wonders of cycling. They have loan coordinator volunteers around the country.
Tandemonium! aims to promote cycling amongst the visually impaired of Cheltenham.
Malvern Bike Hire appears to have changed hands, 2018. Update awaited.
Ledbury Cycle Hire is based at Old Kennels Farm, on the other side of the railway bridge from the town (and near Ledbury rail station).
Beryl Bike Share in Hereford City area. Download the app, unlock a bike, go for a ride, and park in a Beryl Bay or “a considerate location of your choice” (extra fee applies). Cost 5p a minute or 24 hour hire (£12) – see more info for riders.
Bike hire available at the Halo Tennis facility, Hereford Leisure Pool, Bishops Meadows, St, Martins Avenue, Hereford. Options include wheelchair bike, twin bike, hand bike and tandem, for those with physical and mobility difficulties. Weekends and school holidays.
Wheely Wonderful Cycling near Ludlow.
Stratford Bike Hire, hire centre and cafe at the Stratford Greenway, Stratford Upon Avon.
Tandem Club site has a page on where to hire tandems across Britain.
from the Cotswolds to border country (Marches) and mid-Wales
Bicycle Beano cycling holidays in Wales and the Welsh Borders, and now also southern England. One of the reasons for being based in Malvern is the experience of going on Beanos based not far from Ledbury.
Drover Holidays. Based in Hay on Wye, offering cycling and walking holidays in the Welsh Borders (and throughout Wales) as well as bike hire.
Wheely Wonderful Cycling. South Shropshire base. Self-led holidays, plus various maps and guides available (Shropshire, North Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Also bicycle hire. Petchfield Farm, Elton, Ludlow, SY8 2HJ. Phone 01568 770755.
Cotswold Country Cycles Mainly self-guided tours, north Cotswolds (they are based at Chipping Campden), and do cycle hire. Phone 01386 438706
Compass Holidays Options include Cotswolds and Gloucestershire.
Walkers’ Britain do a Cotswolds Bike Ride too.
Saddle Skedaddle have Cotswolds Lanes amongst their wide variety of holidays.
Tandem Experience runs day rides, weekends and longer breaks with tandem hire in Shropshire (Ironbridge). Other UK locations too.
Velobreaks Self-guided cycling holidays in the Brecon Beacons and Cotswolds, including Beacons to Beacon route via the Malverns.
Gorfanc Hideaway – run by friends in mid-Wales, eco-friendly self-catering. Not far from Centre for Alternative Technology, which gives discount on entry fee if you arrive by foot, cycle or public transport.